German Canadian Male Chorus of Calgary
Sing With Us!
Every Wednesday, September to June,
Practice starts at 8:00 PM sharp,
so be there no later than 7:50 PM
Practices run from 8:00 PM to 9:30 PM
St. Boniface German Church
1923 Broadview Road N.W.
Canada, T2N 3H6
Membership dues are $80.00 per year
How to Join
If you are interested in joining our choir come out and attend our practices for a while.
If you like what you see and hear and would like to join our choir talk to our president to let
him know of you interest. If you have sung in a choir before you will likely know the range of your voice.
If you are not certain of your voice range you can try singing in different sections until you feel
comfortable that you are in the right group.
We are a four voice choir, comprised of:
- First Tenor (high tenor, C3–A5*)
- Second Tenor (low tenor, A3–F4*)
- First Bass (aka Baritone, F2–D4*)
- Second Bass (low bass, D2–B4*)
- * C4 is middle C, ranges shown are approximate
Requirements for Joining
Most choir members have some German heritage, but German ancestry is not a requirement - all you need is an
interest in music and a desire to sing. Many of our songs are in German but we have many native German speakers
who can help you out with pronounciation.
Like all organizations, we have some rules and regulations:
- The President's and Choir Director's approvals are required to join, after you have completed an initial period of participation in practices.
- A minimum of 50% attendance, plus adequate support per items 2 though 7, are required to maintain your
membership in the choir. Exceptions due to special circumstances may be considered if approved ahead of time by the President.
- The guidelines to qualify for choir funding for trips are as follows:
- A minimum of 80% attendance at rehearsals and all official functions, such as:
- Gemütlicherabend evenings with visiting choirs,
- Concerts, and
- Other functions as specified by the President.
- Participation in choir fund-raising activities.
- Support of choir activities when requested, such as preparation of facilities for functions.
- Wearing choir uniforms and jackets as required at official functions and when travelling.
- Billeting visiting choir members if requested, or provision of equitable alternate support of visiting choirs.
- Use of billeted accommodation on trips, when offered by host choirs, otherwise you will be required to pay for your own accommodation.
- Share a room with a fellow choir member when travelling, otherwise you will be required to pay the incremental cost of a private room.
- If you fall short of the above requirements you may still be allowed to go on choir trips, at the discretion of the
president and director, although you will be required to pay a pro-rated portion of travel costs.